Windscreens are wonderful things, when you think about it.  The properly installed and functioning ones, I mean.  If you’ve ever wondered how good they can be, take a look at this…

That’s a 35 litre stackable tub – you know the ones – chuck all the kids toys in and hide them in the loft – that sort of thing.  As you’ll see, it’s about half full with water.  That’s the amount of water that leaked underneath an unbonded windscreen in just seven days.  Pretty impressive, right?

It reminds me of an idea I had when driving a work pool car which again had its washer fluid bottle emptied prior to my use (yes, I probably could have refilled it myself, but that’s not the point).  I theorised a system which collected rainwater, filtered it, and diverted it to the washer bottle if it was empty – not the same as washer fluid, but better than nothing when you can’t see anything out of the windscreen!

Anyway, with that emptied, it was time to get another bit of windscreen channel put on.  I used the same process as the last time – cutting into the deeper rust and bending over tabs in the new steel to make a stronger joint with the existing roof line.

As before, I tidied up the joint with some steel-reinforced epoxy putty, which can be sanded down later to make it smoother.  The likelihood is this will probably be over fibreglassed anyway to improve the seal between the fibreglass roof and the steel roof.

Didn’t get a chance to prime the new piece, because it started snowing all of a sudden.  But before it did, I noticed that going further along the channel, there was a section of badly rusted steel between the windscreen and the rest of the original roof.  So much so, you can see through it…

On the inside of the roof it is difficult to get at, because the steel folds over itself to form the section that holds the courtesy light and sun visors.  There’s a lot of rust here which ideally needs cutting out.  In the mean time, I have reinforced the area with a new plate between the two sections.  But next time I will have to cut out all the expanding foam (which had hidden this hole) along the width of the windscreen, clean out the bad sections, treat and then reinforce with new plates.

Share